Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Veggie Garden


This year I started a veggie garden. I have to admit it is a sad veggie garden.
I had a late start, waiting for the gardener to do some pruning and fixing.
He said: ''I'll be there Thursday.''
He just forgot to mention WHAT Thursday.

I had started lots of tomatoes seedlings, which by the time I transplanted them, they were on the verge of dying, torture by the lack of space (30+ plants in 1 pot).
A big variety of peppers. Mostly seeds I collected after eating a new kind anywhere in the world.
Some herbs, the classic ones: oregano, basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage, a couple of different types of mint and Huacatay, a not so classic, from Perú.

After planting them I left for the summer to work on the coast, leaving my dear boyfriend in charge of the crop.
Dear boyfriend had never even watered a pot in his entire life, so by the tame I came back, two months later, I was pretty surprised that most of the plants where still alive. Except for Mr. Jalapeño, one of my favorite ones.
Ive been working for the past two weeks, putting some tutors to the tomato plants, fixing the soil, cleaning u dead leaves and slowly but surely I started to see a little improvement. We might be able to eat some home grown tomatoes after all.
What are doing wonderfully, are the herbs.
It's nice how some herbs can change a simple meal into something special.

Today for lunch we had some steak with mashed pumpkin and potatoes and I just chopped some mint, basil, thyme and oregano; mixed it with olive oil, kosher salt and a touch of balsamic and eat it with the meat. (and dipped some bread, couldn't help myself). Delicious!

No comments: